Sunday, March 3, 2013

Apple Doughnut Muffins


The P&T ladies at our school make muffins for the kids every Tuesday.  The hottest muffins at school are called "Muffins that Taste like Donuts".   I took the recipe which is basically a lot of white sugar, white flour, and oil and made it into something even better (and healthier).  I made a double batch of these after church today and when I heard Isaac cheer happily when he saw them I thought I would share the recipe with you.

Mix dry ingredients:

1 cup flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
(you could add 1/2 tsp. salt if you like, but I never do)

Mix wet ingredients separately:

1/3 cup melted butter or oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup milk, cream, buttermilk or a combination.
(I threw in a little applesauce I had today too - maybe 1/4 cup or so)

2 or 3 large apples, peeled and chopped

Mix the wet into the dry and stir only to combine, fold in apples and fill muffin tins lined with papers.

Bake @ 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Topping:

1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

 While muffins are still hot, dip tops first in melted butter and then in the sugar & cinnamon mixture.  Cool a little on a wire rack.

Makes about a dozen.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Yum. I will try these asap.